Preventative dentistry is the area of dentistry aimed to help people prevent oral disease and its further development. Preventative dentistry includes not just in-office dental care, but at-home treatments as well.
Some examples of at-home treatments include:
– the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing two times a day and directly after meals, when possible.
– the ADA recommends flossing at least once a day.
Rinsing with anti-bacterial mouth wash
– recommended after each brushing
Some examples of preventative dentistry you might receive in-office include:
Prophylaxis (dental cleaning of the teeth- removes built-up calculus (plaque).
Prophylaxis (cleaning of the teeth- removes built-up calculus (plaque).
Inspection of the teeth, mouth, and gums- using visual and tactile exams, x-rays, and oral cancer screening, the overall health, and presence of oral cancer can be revealed.
The difference between general dentistry and cosmetic dentistry is not well-defined, and the two enhance and complement one another. Los Altos Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Diamond can create natural-looking cosmetic improvements. If you don’t see the procedure you are looking for above, please take a look at our cosmetic dentistry page or contact us to see if we perform the service you are looking for.
Cosmetic dentistry includes dental procedures that improve a person’s teeth and gums, resulting in a better, more noticeable smile. Although the term cosmetic dentistry is commonly referred to as redundant, since general dentistry is aimed at improving the look and feel of a patient’s teeth; the term focuses more of an emphasis on improving the smile and overall appearance of the teeth.
– A cosmetic dentistry procedure that is used to replace missing teeth. Dental implants are a long-term solution that results in a healthy, natural-looking, and natural feeling smile. Dental implants are surgically implanted into the jawbone and can be a solution for anyone, with the exception of children, looking to fill in the gaps created by missing teeth and create a brilliant smile.
– The application of a tooth-colored resin material to improve the appearance of discolored or chipped teeth, to close the gaps between teeth, to change the shape of a tooth, or to make a tooth look longer. Tooth bonding is performed by using adhesives and a high intensity curing light. Another use for dental bonding is as a substitute for amalgam fillings and to protect a portion of a tooth that has exposed nerves or exposed root from receding gums.
– A dental bridge is used when a missing tooth must be replaced as a missing tooth can cause a variety of problems and affect the appearance of your smile.
– A silicon dioxide-filled, tooth-colored plastic mixture, composite resins can restore teeth to an attractive, healthy state. Composite resins represent several advantages over traditional silver, or amalgam, dental fillings.
Restorative dentistry serves to restore teeth that may have been damaged through common oral health problems or more serious dental issues. Tooth decay, wear, and damage are a natural result from the intense workout and bacterial influx our mouths get every day. Los Altos Dentist Dr. Diamond can restore your damaged teeth with natural-looking materials, like composite resin fillings and porcelain crowns, inlays, and onlays. This means that you can retain an all-white smile. The benefit of restorative dentistry is that many of the procedures overlap with cosmetic dentistry procedures allowing for modern restorations that are designed to improve the look and feel of your smile and enhance your overall appearance.
Often time’s restorative dental procedures are a result of a patient who either has overlooked the necessity of routine dental care or has a dental problem that was not visible by the naked eye. This is why we recommend visiting Los Altos Dentist Dr. Diamond every six months to check for signs of tooth decay, gum disease or other dental health issues that may be prevented before they become costly or more serious. Below is a list of the common restorative dentistry procedures that we provide to help you with issues that may affect your teeth, gums or smile.